Monday, August 1, 2011

"Normal"

I am not marriage-crazed, really. I could happily wait 5-6 years before tying any kind of knot.
But that doesn't mean I'm not planning already.


My mom says she was so stressed planning her wedding that she didn't have time to enjoy it, so I like to think that by already knowing my wedding colors, the gist of my decorations, where my dress is coming from, and what the bridesmaids will wear, I am avoiding a few premature gray hairs. Right? A day doesn't generally go by when I don't skim weddinggawker.com for ideas, and save a couple pictures in my folder titled “Wedding” on my desktop.

But then today I imagined myself in this situation:

Sitting with my laptop open in some class, a cute guy sits down next to me. We introduce ourselves and hit it off. Just before I open up a word document, he catches a glimpse of a folder entitled “Wedding.” This could mean I am engaged, or worse --insane. He pretends to see a friend come in, excuses himself, and flees.

I panicked. Quickly, I created a new folder entitled “Normal” and moved the “Wedding” folder into it. Brilliant. Now let's re-imagine this situation:

Sitting with my laptop open in some class, a cute guys sits down next to me. We introduce ourselves and hit it off. Just before I open up a word document, he catches a glimpse of a folder entitled “Normal.” Perfect, he thinks. She's normal. He asks me on a date and a month later, we are married. Our wedding colors are all shades of white and the bridesmaids have matching clutches. The reception is at an art museum and each table has a centerpiece of paper flowers in jars. The cake has golden raspberries on top of it and there are lots of garlands made out of paper doilies.


That's more like it.


"See, this is exactly the kind of thing that happens when there's no order, no planning. Hitler and Martha Stewart would have hated that wedding." --Liz Lemon

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of that. Oops. I love this, I really do.
    I caved and got a Pinterest, and while I still don't understand it all, it's another way to organize all my ideas.

    ReplyDelete