Sunday, August 21, 2011

This is college.

This is how 75% of my conversations have gone for the last three days:

Hi, so what's your name? Nice to meet you. I'm Maggie.
(Oh! That's my dog's name!)
I know. I'm from Centerville.
(Where's Centerville?)
That's just north of Bountiful. You know Bountiful?
(No.)
Never mind. Where are you from? What are you majoring in? I'm doing elementary ed.
(Wow! That takes more patience than I have! Ha ha ha!)
Ha. Ha. That's what everyone says.

On Friday night, the school hosted a dance party outside for everyone who had just moved in. My roommate and her friend and I were hanging around, and one very cute, very, very nice boy came over to introduce himself, which of course lead to...

Hi, so what's your name? Nice to meet you. I'm Maggie.
(Oh! That's my dog's name!)
I know. I'm from Centerville.
(Where's Centerville?)
That's just north of Bountiful. You know Bountiful?
(No.)
Never mind. Where are you from? What are you majoring in? I'm doing elementary ed.
(Wow! That takes more patience than I have! Ha ha ha!)
Ha. Ha. That's what everyone says.

Then his very cute, very nice friend joined us.

Hi, so what's your name? Nice to meet you. I'm Maggie.
(Oh! That's my dog's name!)
I know. I'm from Centerville.
(Where's Centerville?)
That's just north of Bountiful. You know Bountiful?
(No.)
Never mind. Where are you from? What are you majoring in? I'm doing elementary ed.
(Wow! That takes more patience than I have! Ha ha ha!)
Ha. Ha. That's what everyone says.

Then another.

Hi, so what's your name? Nice to meet you. I'm Maggie.
(Oh! That's my dog's name!)
I know. I'm from Centerville.
(Where's Centerville?)
That's just north of Bountiful. You know Bountiful?
(No.)
Never mind. Where are you from? What are you majoring in? I'm doing elementary ed.
(Wow! That takes more patience than I have! Ha ha ha!)
Ha. Ha. That's what everyone says.

It felt so college-y, flirting with guys at a dance party. So we all went off and danced. They were very, very fun as well as nice and cute. Things were going swimmingly. I showed off a couple Irish stepdancing moves, which always gets the guys. In fact, said moves probably inspired the next conversation:

Cory: Do you guys drink?
Kate: (Who thought he asked if she needed a drink. Of water.) Yes!
Me: No.
Cory: Do you smoke weed?
Me: No.
Cory: That's okay. You're a great dancer.
Me: Thank you.

So there you have it. Somewhere between that and getting invited to a toga party and going to my first singles ward and eating on my bed and having several public transit misadventures, it has finally hit me that I am a college student. A very hip, self-assured college student.

Oh, wait, that was the girl I sat next to on the bus. I am the terrified college student who accidentally took the bus to Sugarhouse when she meant to go to the Smith's four blocks away. But whatever. It'll be great, right? Right?


"How's this for grown up? Last night, I put milk in my Apple Jacks." --Frank



No comments:

Post a Comment