Saturday, October 22, 2011

The SL,UT Project: part 1

I woke up this morning needing to DO something, so I put in my ipod, packed my bag, and trekked it down to the Trax stop. It was about halfway there that I had a vision. What if I took a little part of my week to not study and actually go somewhere besides my dorm and the library? What if every Saturday I visited a new place in Salt Lake that I have never been to? What if I took pictures of it? What if I blogged about it? What if I became a rocking tourist in my own town? And what if I called it the SL,UT Project? (Because I will stop laughing at that joke when it stops being funny--never.)

So here we go. 

Today I decided to visit the Gilgal Gardens. I hadn't heard of this place until I read a newspaper clipping about it at work, and I immediately investigated. Turns out it's super close to campus--located at about 749 East and 500 South. It's right behind Hire's Big H and the Wonder Bread Factory, so it is both hidden and delicious-smelling. 

The Gilgal Garden was designed and built by Thomas Battersby Child, Jr., beginning in 1945 (it used to be his backyard). It's basically this menagerie (Did I use that word right? Whatever.) of bizarro religious sculptures including a sphinx with the head of Joseph Smith, the statue from King Nebuchadnezzar's dream, and a funky self-portrait. And way more. It is free for the public, and is open for visiting from 8 am to 8 pm from April to September, and 9 am to 5 pm October to March. More information can be found right here.
     
I didn't think to bring my camera before I left today, so the following pictures have been stolen from the internet.


















Then I ran to the City Library, because I have only been there once before, and was excited to get a library card. A library card I will surely never use, seeing as I work in a different library, but whatever. It felt good. There was also some kind of book sale going on, so I got a cheap copy of The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, just in time for that part of the year when it's always cloudy and all the trees are dead and I like to get my morbid on.



Speaking of morbid, the City Library is having a Dia de los Muertos celebration on Oct. 29th, which I think sounds pretty cool. Someone should go and decorate a sugar skull for me.



Those were also cyber-thieved. So there you go. More to come, for sure. And I would love suggestions, too. And if anyone wants to have some urban adventures with me, shoot me a text.

1 comment:

  1. I am most certainly going to join you for a SLUT day! I would do the same thing here in Provo, but lets face it, there's not much here.

    ReplyDelete